DEPARTMENT: LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SERVICES
POSITION: REFERENCE AND INSTRUCTIONAL SERVICES ASSISTANT
Reference and Instructional services assistant will be responsible for assisting the Head of Reference and Library staff in the timely delivery of specialized reference support, guiding students in the use of the Library’s online and electronic resources. This position will also providing services which include staffing the reference desk, providing online reference assistance to help in organization of Information Literacy instruction and consultations with Reference Librarian. This position reports directly to the Head of Reference and Instructional Services and works very closely with the other librarians of ADA University Library.
• Assist library users with informational, directional and basic reference inquiries at the Reference Desk under the supervision of a Reference librarian;
• Refer students to a Reference librarian if the student has questions about finding information, doing research, etc.;
• Perform clerical tasks as requested by Research librarians (such a gathering statistics, checking online access to electronic resource, etc.);
• Prepare print & electronic instruction tools, and assist in monitoring and developing web pages; help define information literacy objectives by discipline, to design/refine library-based assignments;
• Perform other library duties and participate in library projects as assigned by the supervisor (Head of Reference and Instructional Services);
• Answer directional inquiries and locates requested materials;
• Retrieve requested materials as necessary;
• Determine availability of materials by using the library online catalog, databases and print indexes.
• A Library Science degree or equivalent (Master Degree is preferred);
• 1-3 years library experience;
• Experience with electronic resources and data mining;
• Ability to work effectively with individuals at all levels and in a team;
• Fluency in written and oral English
• Knowledge and understanding of best practices, current issues and trends in library technologies and ability to view issues from a broad library-wide perspective;
• Commitment to excellent client services to a culturally diverse user base;
• Experience with a bibliographic utility and an integrated library system;
• Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills;
• Strong analytical skills as demonstrated in previous work assignments are essential; suitability for public service; is tactful, obliging, has good judgment, knowledge of telephone etiquette; knowledge of and interest in books and bibliographic tools;
• Working hours: 40 hours per week scheduled within these opening hours: Weekdays: 12 pm to 9pm, Saturday: 12 pm to 5 pm.
Interested candidates are requested to submit, preferably in Word or PDF format, attached to an e-mail message: (1) a letter of interest specifying particular suitability for the position, when available and minimum expected salary (in AZN), (2) a current resume and (3) the names, email and business addresses of at least 3 references.
Send materials via e-mail to email@example.com specifying the Job Title in the subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The cut-off date for application is October 27, 2014. ADA University offers a competitive remuneration package and attractive conditions of employment of high standard. For more information about ADA University, please visit www.ada.edu.az.